Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Newbie intro and a thanks

  1. #1
    Inactive Member www.records's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2005
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A week ago I was lucky enough to find a pair of 604 8G's in very nice factory 620A cabinets. I had heard the name Altec before, but had never heard any of them. But for $150, I felt I had hit a goldmine. I have asked around at several online sites that I frequent and was directed to this great ALtec site. One of the HF voice coils are bad, but I have contacted Bill at Great Plains for a new diaphram. Since it is about a 4 hour drive, I am going to take both drivers to get them checked out and remagged if needed.

    Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and to say thank you. I also want to personally thank Billfort for his helping answer a couple of questions on the HiEff asylum.

    I have actually spent 3 days reading every post I could find here (68 pages) that mentioned 604's especially the 8G's. I will also say that I don't know a whole lot about audio, but am anxious to learn. My budget insists that I basically use vintage stuff, but I love it. Also as you can probably tell by my user name, I love analog.

    My first objective is to get my speakers up and working properly. Then I am planning on upgrading from my Marantz 2252B receiver, to a used Jolida 302A and probably build a Hagerman Bugle. And who knows, I may even be asking about upgrading the crossovers, but for now that is way out of my league.

    Anyway, I appreciate your help and love for Altec's.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wecome & congratulations on your score.
    I too have little knowlegde regarding audio engineering. The people here do though.
    I am more into th MI thing, music instrument applications.
    It can take a while to get a reply but it should be very helpful when it gets posted.
    Jeff

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Most people I know associate the name Altec with PC speakers. Not uncommon since I'm a Software Engineer, and most people I know are in the IT field.

    Very few ever new that the "Real" Altec once built the Best home and professional speakers in the world. A heritage that goes back over 70 years.

    30 years ago when I bought my Altec Model-15's very few people knew of the name Altec. But most had listened to them. Back then 80% of all movie houses had some form of Altec "Voice of the Theatre" speakers.

    Also in that era Altec was Thee name in playback systems in recording studios. The 604 speaker was KING in the arena.

    Going back to through the years of home and professional audio there are only a handfull of speakers that are exhaulted as much as Altec's 604. There are maybe 5 or 10 speakers that had this kind of prestige.....Altec "Voice Of the Theatre" A7, or the Acoustical Research AR-1 to name a couple.

    So here you are with a set of extremely hi-end speakers at a Wall-Mart price. Not bad at all. IMHO there are very few speakers that can rival these speakers (old or new). If you were to replace them with a comperable sounding new speaker I suspect you'll be spending over $10k. Have fun listening to a wonderful set of speakers. And I'll say there are many of us here who would love to come across a bargain like that. It's a once in a lifetime oppertunity.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member www.records's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2005
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you gentlemen for the replies. It has also been suggested that I consider entering the world of tubes to go with my 604's. Today I located and bought a Heathkit W4 AM along with the matching preamp a WA P2 from a retired audio repairman. I have also located another matching amp and pre, since I prefer stereo. I have been told the Heath setup will be a good start in tubes, as I have never owned a tube amp in my life, and they will be easy to learn on.

    My wife and friends suggested I sell my Altecs, but I quickly replied "No Way" as I will probably NEVER run across another pair. These are definately keepers and hopefully heirlooms that will be passed along after I become compost fodder. Either that, or will be modified to become my casket. forums

    Anyway, once again, I very much appreciate your support. I may be asking about crossover mods in a year or so.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Pritch,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes and Altec. Wow, some nice stuff for a start. The W4 amps are absolutely killer units, the 20 or so watts should be plenty for any he speaker. If you have the skill, you should rebuild them with modern passive components for a sound that is nearly impossible to beat for the $$. If you don?t have the skill, take the amps to a competent tech for filter cap replacement and a resistor check (those old carbon comps drift plenty) they should provide years of reliable service after this small bit of work.
    I have not had good luck getting top-notch sound from the heath preamps. A dynaco pas 3 with appropriate mods was far superior the last time I had any on hand to compare. All in all though the components you have should make for a fine system. If you ever get the urge to upgrade, put the stuff away and don?t sell it. If you do sell them, I can guarantee that you will want them back after a brief period of infatuation with the latest wiz bang gizmo and then you won?t have much luck replacing them.
    Regards,
    Martyh45

  6. #6
    Inactive Member www.records's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2005
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Marty. I have no experience with replacing filter caps or resistors, but am willing and eager to learn. If that doesn't work out, I will be looking for someone knowledgeable to get me fixed up.

    Can you suggest a tech who will do the work at a reasonable charge? There is a repairman locally who repairs guitar amps at a very reasonable charge. I may chat with him and see if it would be something he could do. But suggestions of techs are welcomed.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member AL-TEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All Altec interested persons. I will give you some quick info about what I am listening to in my home right now. It is "pristine" vintage audio stuff I will never sell, and you cannot buy anything today that sounds as good. I have an extensive LP Vinyl record collection...(still collecting) using a great AR turntable and Shure M91ED Cart. Also an extensive CD collection. (Being added to as we speak).
    What am I using to listen to these sources? The following list: (At times changing around)

    Altec pristine 605A's in Karlson's or Altec Duplex Cabinets.
    Pair 1970's University "Classic" S9-S Folded Horn Skrs. ( Fantastic Sound!)
    Dynaco PAS-3X Updated
    Dynaco PAT-5
    Mcintosh MC-30 Power Amps Updated
    QSC Solid-State Power Amps
    Denon Pro CD Deck
    Carvin 1/3 Octave EQ
    Altec 802-8G HF Drivers, N501-8A X-Overs/416A Woofers in Karlsons

    The "Vintage" items above are all in "Like-New" perfect shape. I have not heard anything sound so good as these above items as I have now in any new Music "Hi-Fi" store. It is the "Dynamics" and efficiency that is obtained with the types listed above that surpass all the new stuff! In other words, I just like listening too and enjoying the great sound that is obtained with this type so called "vintage" equipment. I have also owned and have enjoyed some of the following items: Altec A7's, Altec 604-C, Altec 416, 515, 604-8G, ect...
    There is something about listening to a pair of good shape 16 ohm vintage Altec's on the 16 ohm tap of a good McIntosh MC-30, or 240, or A116, or MC-40. I have also utylized Dynaco MK III's as power amps wich give good sound to any Altecs!

    Thanks,

    Al-TEC




    forums forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.